HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Less than smart dog owners

I have a friend who does not like dogs, he hates seeing them in public and hates dog parks, he thinks dogs belong home and nowhere else. I disagree with that, but after what I saw at the dog park this morning, I'm thinking it might be healthier for dogs to stay home.

I've always loved dogs, except about 20 years ago, I was bitten by one, so for about three to five years after that, I avoided all dogs, but now I've turned into a sort of dog whisperer. Dogs love me. It's very odd. If there are 20 people in a room and one dog, the dog will come and stay by me. Weird, but true. Anyway, the point is, I love dogs, but not so much their owners.

I was with a friend at Kennedy Park this morning and he put his dog in the dog park. After a short while, there was a huge commotion, some big bull dog started a fight with the other dogs and bit about three of them. It was a big commotion, loud and messy. The dog's owner apologized profusely, but why would you bring your dog, that you have to know is dangerous, to a community dog park? And I'm sure this is not the only incident at the dog park, so why do dog owners bring their dogs who might be attacked unsuspectingly?

The dog owner took the dog out, but only after everyone grabbed their dogs and left and he was apologizing and making excuses. Less than smart of him.

Now this really bothered me after that. A lady whose dog was bitten in the leg, proceeded to put water on her dog's leg from the water fountain in the dog park, but she did not take the water from the top part where people drink, she was taking the water from the bottom part where the water comes out of the spout into a shared doggy dish - where all the park dogs drink from. 


She would take the water from the spout, let it pass over her filthy hand into the dog bowl and then wipe her dog's wounds, blood and all. Then she would repeat this, introducing her dog's blood and bacteria into the drinking bowl. She continued this for a bit of time. I couldn't believe the height of selfishness. Now unbeknownst to anyone else, except for she and I, her dog's blood and bacteria are infecting the dog bowl for the rest of the day and all the other unsuspecting dogs today are drinking that.

Sometimes I think some dog owners are their own pets' worst enemies. 

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, it's well documented that dog parks are bad for a dog's health. Fleas and other parasites in the dog poop is usually the worst part.

August 20, 2016 10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dogs are not the problem. The real problem is with selfish and irresponsible pet owners. Some pet owners feel they are special and need all taxpayers to subsidize dog parks so they may have a place to socialize with other pet owners. Some feel they have the right to bring their dog into retail shops and restaurants and are even willing to apply for a fake Service Pet permit, which happens to be a Federal Offence. Perhaps dog owners could be better neighbors by inviting all their other dog owner pals to meet in one of their own back yards.

August 20, 2016 11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just back from the West Coast (ie, Pacific) vacation where dog owners responsibly pick up their dog poop without a 2nd thought and make life pleasant for everyone. 1st day back I'm shoveling someone elses dog's poop (I am not a dog owner) - once again - from my yard so I won't have to step in it or smell it. These are south Grove neighbors, and by the way, fences are not the answer in my opinion.

August 20, 2016 3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just the tip of the proverbial iceberg that falls under aberrant behavior, a hatred of all other humans. Many, many, many people act out rudely while in their vehicles, some behind darkly covered windows, and equally act out their antisocial behavior through their dogs. Who gives a crap about their endless, useless, obvious hate, for whatever the reason. I usually only rented to folks with a child or pets, usually a large dog. Never a back ground check. No more dog owners and perhaps no children and my wife now says she'll do back ground checks. A ton of dog owners transfer their hatred through their dogs. And many love their dogs for companionship, which only, in my opinion, they should try harder to mate with another human!? I've never quite appreciated thinking a pet is a family member. Nick friendly thought, but some dog is comparable to your children or spouse!? Jobie Steppe

August 20, 2016 4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember what they say in NY? If you see something, say something! Why didn't you ask the lady not to do that? I would certainly have said something to her, and I don't even like dogs! What's the point of saying something way after the fact? You don't care after all?

August 20, 2016 4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last year at Kennedy Park, on a lovely Saturday afternoon, with a large crowd, I witnessed a young man unleash his pitbull and teach it to chase a squirrel up a tree on his command, very aggressively. I was mortified. This was so wrong. Second, it was so illegal. And third, it was so dangerous. This dog was being trained to attack on command, unleashed, in a public park full of kids, other dogs, etc. I screamed at him and he quickly leashed the dog and scurried off before I could get any help. WTF is wrong with this guy?

August 20, 2016 4:17 PM  
Blogger Tom Falco said...

Anonymous 4:15 - first off, you are the reason I am tempted to close all comments for good and have no more comments here because you didn't need to leave that comment except to be a jerk.

Secondly, I honestly didn't even think of what she was doing until after we left the park, then it dawned on me.

August 20, 2016 4:19 PM  

<< Home