HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

The Best of . . .

A lot of Coconut Grove businesses won the "Best of Miami" awards in the Miami New Times. I don't have the list, but you can see all the winners here.

I did happen to see that Bombay Darbar, one of our advertisers won Best Restaurant in Coconut Grove. Congrats to them! And there are so many other places if you go over the list.


I was surprised to see Milam's voted Best Supermarket. I'm not a fan. I run in once in awhile, but hardly ever. I think the prices are too high and I just don't like the place. I don't know why.

Publix always comes to the top of the list when supermarkets are rated. And Wegman's. We don't have Wegman's here, but for years, my mother has raved about it. She used to go to Wegman's in upstate New York whenever she visited. There's a new one coming to Brooklyn, which I'm anxious to try out. The bad part of that is the gentrification. Wegman's is taking the place of old Civil War houses called Admiral's Row. 

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How can Milams edge out Fresh Market???

June 14, 2017 4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Milams, and if you can't say something nice you shouldn't say it. Milams is a family owned business with great customer service. They have a wide and increasing selection of healthy, fresh and organic products so as to try to keep pace with FM and WF. If they dont have what you want, they will go above and beyond to get it for you and then let you know. For a neighborhood grocery the prices are slightly higher but I prefer to pay them for the convenience and also I don't want to give my $ to big box stores like costco. Lastly, the aisles aren't as crowded as FM and there are usually no long lines unless there's a hurricane alert! I do like FM for their fresh products as well (incl fruit, fish et al) so I like to shop at both of my neighborhood stores.

June 14, 2017 5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Fresh Market is hands down the best major grocery store quality wise and service wise in town.

June 14, 2017 6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel like people forget that this is Tom's blog and he's allowed to voice his opinion on whatever he wants. You don't have to read it if you don't like it. Preach on Tom! And on that note, I don't like milams either.

June 14, 2017 7:08 PM  
Blogger Rollington said...

I did a story on Milams back in 1989 for IGA Grocergram magazine. It's a local family-owned chain and while it is a little higher priced than WD, it is high quality and great service. We are lucky to have it, Grove Liquors and a smaller Home Depot than one huge Home Depot store that was the alternative, for those who remember. I think it's a great local small - scale shopping center and we should be thankful it is what it is.

June 14, 2017 7:58 PM  
Anonymous Jack said...

Amen Rollington. We fought hard to prevent Home Depot from taking over the whole shopping center. Milam's promotes and participates in many local venues. The strut, girl scouts and UM to name a few. Their customer service is the best. We are very fortunate to have them in Coconut Grove.

June 15, 2017 9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I worked many years for a non-profit that helped at-risk high school students to stay in school and graduate, I used to hit on Milam's every year for Thanksgiving turkeys and groceries, and every year they came through with donations in support of our community. For most of the kids and their families, that was the only Thanksgiving food they had, including local families in West Grove and elsewhere. I recommend you take a walk through Milam's, it's a great store and we're very lucky to have them in the Grove.

June 15, 2017 2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home