HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

We're losing a home away from home

Up until yesterday, there were serious buyers interested in The Bookstore. I was told that they needed to make a decision yesterday or the auction would go on to sell off the interiors. Well, I received notification of tomorrow's auction which will happen. Apparently the deal fell through. I don't want to be part of it, but if you do, it's at The Bookstore tomorrow at 11 am, I think there is a pre-show thing at 9 am. Sad day.

It was mostly about the new lease and cost of the lease more than anything else. The sad thing is that The Bookstore is not a failing business. The current owner just wants to move on now that their lease is up and rather than sign a new lease, the time was right for her to get out.


I have to admit I purchase books for my Kindle now. I've been guilty of going into bookstores and taking photos of books on the shelves and then going home and downloading the book and to be quite honest, I do it for space reasons. A friend had mentioned to me awhile back that the worst part of moving was the books. He said you don't realize all the books you have until you have to move them, so I went around my house and realized he was right. I have books on top of books - on shelves, on the floor, on desks on tables; basically everywhere.

I'm not  pack rat but I like to keep my books. I sort of have a photographic mind in that when I look at a book, I can remember and see in my head where I was when I was reading it. So it's a trip down my life's memory lane when I peruse my own collection of books. I can look at a book and remember being 21 reading it in bed in my parents' house, or there's one book that I remember reading the summer of 1988 at my cousins' house, I can see myself in their backyard reading it. So many books I can see myself reading on a plane, and so on.

I did spend a lot at The Bookstore on food, so I don't feel guilty of not supporting them. I got a meal there almost daily. My favorite is/was the Healthy Hen Bowl, but my own variation of it and I loved their steel cut oatmeal on weekends. So through the cafe, I felt I did support them even though I wasn't a big book buyer.


I never did get them to change the Grapevine Shake to an Egg Cream, even though James tried making the Egg Cream once and it came out perfect. 

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soon Amazon will own everything

June 21, 2017 3:24 PM  
Anonymous Jim K said...

It is very sad that the bookstore is closing. I have many gifts from there that my lovely daughter purchased for me for many special occasions. We also used to enjoy lunching there. Such a delightful place. Pity.

I too keep the special books, the good ones and the good writers. I read them several times as I get something new from them each time. I like looking at the pages read against the pages left and try to conjure in my mind how the story will develop in pages unread. I have the IPad and smart phone and TV, but still like to open those special books and read the cherished sentiments inside the covers.

June 21, 2017 5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is sad but the way the current grove is moving GREED is the driving force. If the lease is going up to a $$$Value that is not feasible for a current business that will be stable the landlord already has another business or project lined up. The easiest was to get people out is just increase price and blame it on the marker and the fake analysis of stating we have new buildings and based on this the businesses will have XXXX amount of extra customer opportunities. This is just not true we all know the building are empty. Look at Vinos gone another one due to rent increase as the main factor. I just hope something new and exciting will open up I think another restaurant as the kitchen in the location is one of the biggest in the grove and ti take it all out for another concept will be very expensive for the new lease owner.

June 22, 2017 8:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sad day! I will miss the Bookstore. We need a local hangout that both kids and adults enjoy alike. Why can't good businesses be given a break on this crazy rent? High end is fine sometimes, but not for everyday... and at this rate, only "High end" stores will be able to afford the rent.

June 23, 2017 9:32 PM  
Blogger Maura said...

Bookstore is still open! Just walked by and noticed people inside eating. Walked in and the workers told us that there is a serious potential buyer and that they are at least open until 6/30. We are so pleased. Can you write another post and get the neighbors to come back. We want to show this potential buyer that this place is worth saving!

June 24, 2017 12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home