HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Saturday, October 21, 2017

CGVC Candidates Forum - Marcelo Fernandes

Nine seats are up for election on November 7, for the Coconut Grove Village Council. 15 people are running for the nine seats. The Grapevine is giving candidates a chance to tell their story as to why they deserve your vote.  We have asked all the candidates the same five questions and we'll post the results here as they come in. 

MARCELO FERNANDES

GRAPEVINE: Why do you feel you would be a good Village Council Member?

MARCELO: I have been in and around the Grove all my life. I see changes the past few years that are taking it in the wrong direction with too much development that is not being controlled.


Marcelo Fernandes
As a real estate professional (Broker and Developer) I have seen firsthand the cause and effect of our current zoning codes and lack of enforcement by the City. I consider myself an expert in Miami 21 codes and the NCD overlays. I also own my business in Coconut Grove (Grove Properties) and spend most my leisure time in the 33133 zip code. I want this place to maintain the village lifestyle and encourage smart development that keeps up with the needs of our changing society but does not take the “nut” out of Coconut Grove. I am passionate about our village and I have the skills, experience and time to dedicate to preserving it intelligently. I have also been very philanthropic for the past many years. I donate to local charities at every closing from Grove Properties. The main groups we support are associated with sustainable environmental issues (ARC+ and Miami Waterkeepers) and helping our children with education and proper nourishment (Breakthrough Miami & Joshua’s Hart Foundation).

G: What would you like to accomplish during your time on the Council? Objectives? Projects?

M: Main objective is to reform the NCD overlays to help guide the future of the Grove while maintaining the village ambiance that we all love. The needed changes to NCD will directly affect the housing the and lack of affordability we are seeing for all low, medium and upper medium income levels. Creating opportunities to allow for more housing that is attainable will create a stronger “village”, which will in turn allow for more local business opportunities that are sustainable. Businesses will be able to hire locals as its employees which will keep our village together and create better youth programs. I also have dedicated to only building green and sustainable homes and buildings for the past few years and will encourage incentives to increase this effort. I am on the Board of Trustees for Miami Waterkeepers and will support all efforts to keep our bay clean, support improvements to tackle sea level rise and global warming initiatives. I am a big believer in thinking globally and acting locally.

G: What is your favorite part of Coconut Grove?

M: The ability to walk or bike from your home and be in the village center offering schools, shopping, restaurants, entertainment and events. Also being a Bayfront community with multiple ways to  access Biscayne Bay. I love the live, work, and play lifestyle all wrapped up in one great community.

G: What is your least favorite part of Coconut Grove?

M: The way that village West has been torn apart. The Grove would not be what is it today without the village West. Commodore Munroe brought over the original settlers from the Bahamas to help establish our village. They were an integral part of our community. They were allowed to purchase real estate and live as one community sharing our schools and lifestyle. It was an utopia for the black community at that time. Only when the City of Miami incorporated many years later did segregation take place. Regardless, for many years thereafter most of the original families of the settlers still thrived in our community but now they are facing very difficult times. We must find a way to stop gentrification of the West Grove and build towards a future Grove that creates one Coconut Grove, undivided, once again.

G: How long have you lived in the Grove? Where are you from? What drew you here?

M: I was born in New York City and my parents are originally from Brazil. My family moved to Miami in 1970 and I spent most my childhood living in Coral Gables just south of Cartagena (Cocoplum) Circle. I rode my bike to school attending Ransom Everglades and graduated in 1984. I returned to Miami after attending Washington & Lee University in Virginia in 1988 and never left. I am passionate about the ocean and grew up on and in Biscayne Bay. I am an avid boater and free diver. I have a captain’s license and built a wooden sailboat in southern part of Brazil that I sailed up here myself. I have lived in the north, center and south grove during my adult life. I met my wife when we both lived on Glencoe Street in the North Grove. We have been married for 16 years and have an 18 year old son, Deshay (we adopted at the age of 5 here in Miami) and a 12 year old daughter, Maya. My son attended Coconut Grove Elementary and two years at MCA academy at Mayfair. I love raising my family here in the village the same way I experienced it as a child. I am not moving out and have no desire to live in any other place.

=======



As these forums come in, they will be all listed here for you to see.

 VC-Candidates-2017

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home